Saturday, July 16, 2011

$ Tip for Authors: Does Your Book Suck?

First off - hats off to anyone who decides to write a book and tackle all that goes with it. Whether you are self/independently published or traditionally published - I  APPLAUD YOU! I'm jumping into the fire myself and my head is spinning as I work on The Debt BOOK! (nope, not the real title, there isn't one yet lol)

My tip for today is to save the money for a good editor and cover design. I've always been an avid reader and sometimes others ask me to review their adult/youth financial or business related books. I’ve come across great book covers, horrible editing and vice versa. I’ve also seen where both cover and editing needed a complete revamp.  If I buy your book and can’t get past the first chapter because of poor spelling, format, grammar, etc. – I won’t finish reading it AND I will tell my world how badly done it was. Now multiply ME times the number of people in your audience. Word of mouth can hurt your book sales and speaking engagements – thus hurting your bottom line!  Now, we want to keep that bottom line happy! 

Don't rush your project -  take your time, make sure that you have thoroughly dotted the i's and crossed the t's so your labor of love can net the result you are looking for.

What about you? How has your experience been with editors for your book project? 

Your Coach, 
Dorethia






No comments: