Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Why Oprah is My Shero

Many women have shaped my world - some I've had the pleasure of meeting and others I have not.  Oprah, falls in the latter category. People expect a lot of her, they say she gives too much or she doesn't give enough. It comes with the territory, when you achieve great success, others believe they can tell you what you should be doing with your money.  I believe in giving, I'm a giver, but I don't think anyone HAS TO... although Oprah does more than her fair share, which was evident at her Farewell Spectacular

I honestly would not care if Oprah never gave a dime to anyone, she did enough when she stepped on stage 25 years ago. I was a little girl and up until then I had not seen anyone that looked like me hosting a talk show. Here was this dark skinned woman who didn't fit the mold of most women who were on television. She wasn't supermodel thin and didn't come from the white picket fence background.

I could relate - there's no white picket fence in my story either, and as a pre-teen, I sat straight up whenever Oprah was on television. I can't tell you what any of the shows were about, I was just enthralled with the fact that this fabulous, intelligent, black woman was on national television and EVERYONE was listening to her. Her programming was uplifting and positive. I wanted to be Oprah when I grew up, I was determined to have my own talk show, I was going to study journalism and continue on the trail that she was blazing. I wanted to empower people, encourage them - show them how to BELIEVE they could live a great life. 

As I grew up, my career goals changed, but the mission did not. Uplifting and empowering others has always been at the forefront of my personal journey. As a financial coach, I meet people at all income levels who are facing challenges in their finances. I'm able to encourage them, offer hope and strategy.  I know my 'virtual' mentors, such as Oprah, are the reason I am in a position to equip others to be successful in every area of their lives and I am grateful. 

There aren't enough thank yous that I could say to Oprah for the impact she has made on my life. Her presence proved to me at an early age that there was nothing I could not do. 

So, I raise my glass to you Oprah, congratulations on all your accomplishments and all the lives you've changed. I'm confident OWN will be a great success and wish you nothing but the best in this next phase of your life!


What About You?  Who are some of your heroes/sheroes? Who is it that paved the way for you?

"What material success does is provide you with the ability to concentrate on other things that really matter. And that is being able to make a difference, not only in your own life, but in other people's lives."  .....Oprah Winfrey 


Your Financial Coach, 

-Dorethia 

248.325.8016 | 800.962.2491 

No comments: