Saturday, September 6, 2008

You're Not the Boss of Me!....Well Maybe You Are...


I don't get a chance to watch a lot of t.v. I had cable a couple of times but found that:

1. Unless you buy all the add-ons, nothing's on t.v.

2. I wasn't home enough to take advantage of the service

3. I was spending too much time arguing over incorrect bills and poor customer service for something I rarely used....therefore I ditched it.

Now we are being forced into HDTV. I don't like it. I believe it is unfair to the consumers. I have been screaming this since the announcement was made and I thought I was on an island all by myself until I ran across the articles below earlier this year. Either you buy a new t.v., cable or you buy converters and the government will give you $40 towards the converters.

The cost of the converters is not the issue, the infringement is having someone else decide how clear the picture on MY television should be. I CARE NOT!!!! As long as it's not fuzzy - I'm good! I can't tell the difference between plasma, high def or whatever the other one is! There is no absolute need to go HDTV, this is one of those deals where everyone benefits except the consumers and the government makes a nice profit. I don't want to buy a new t.v. or cable and there are many people who feel the same way.

Of course I'll get the converters because truly I have no choice. I'm just grateful for the ability to rant on blogs....thank goodness that hasn't been taken away.

Check out these articles by Keith Crain of Crain Communications - another voice crying out into the seemingly wilderness....

Keith Crain: It Just Doesn't Seem Very Democratic: http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20080211/SUB/380959951

Keith Crain: Someone Really Ought to See The Light: http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20080303/SUB/803030332

______________________________________________

p.s.........Another example of unfair foolishness is Michigan's Driver Responsibility Law enacted a few years ago. After you have paid your tickets, your reinstatement fees etc, which can all add up not so nicely, you are fined again for having gotten too many tickets. Each fine is dependent upon the severity of your record. There was no warning, no notices (so it couldn't be fought right away) - just this is the rule, pay up! I believe in making people pay for not following the traffic rules - I certainly have contributed to the state and city coffers for disobedience. But I believe that it's unfair to add an additional fine once they've made restitution. Last time I checked this wasn't deterring people from getting tickets - no one gets in their car planning to get a ticket anyway. It would have been more prudent to run some informative PSA's on radio and t.v. commercials on benefits of driving safety, consequences for various offenses etc. .......just my twenty cents!


No comments: