Saturday, September 6, 2008

Hybrid Cars and Such....

Okay, I must admit that I'm way behind in getting on the bus of this 'green' movement. I'm not especially wasteful, do recycle plastic grocery bags as bathroom garbage bags, hate litter and don't buy pop so no recycling issues there. I do buy lots of water and sorry, but I don't recycle the bottles...I know...I know. . My green thumb is more like black because I can barely get anything to grow. Ask my neighbors who just shake their heads and laugh every time I attempt yard work....after a while, out of sheer sympathy and amusement, they'll help me! (My mother would be ashamed, she's a pro). So yes, I know I get an F for green I'm sure. But there's always redemption and I'm starting today to learn more, what with all the talk of bio fuels, green clothing and hybrid cars.

We'll start with Hybrid Cars. Being totally ignorant, I had to ask an 'expert' - my Uncle Danny...(see I called you an 'expert' ha ha - never again) I wanted to know what the hoopla was about and if they truly SAVE MONEY....

In the long and short of it, he explained that hybrid cars are great for city driving - in and around the neighborhood, grocery stores, etc. Why? ...because they have electric motors that takeover when you are at a light or stopped in traffic. Hybrid cars seem to 'cut off' when you stop at a light, thus preserving energy, gas. They are still on, but the electric motors have kicked in and when the light changes you're off again - using petroleum. On the freeway you don't save $$ because the electric motors add weight to the car, thus decreasing the miles per gallon you get because the car is working harder. I did some research and Uncle Danny is absolutely correct.. go figure!

Here are some links that explain how hybrid cars work in detail - for those equally as ignorant as I am:


Want to Know Which Hybrids Give Biggest Bang for Your $$$ - Report @ CNN.com:
http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/autos/0809/gallery.consumer_reports_hybrids/12.html
Okay, I've got my green t-shirt and I've learned about hybrids - I should be up to a C+ at least...as for my black thumb, I don't believe there is any help.... until next time - Dorethia

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

NEVER DOUBT YOUR UNCLE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!LUV, UNCLE DANNY

Anonymous said...

P.S. PLEASE IF YOU CONSIDER A HYBRID, OR ANY VEHICLE @ THAT, LOOK AT AMERICAN MADE FIRST. HELP THE ECONOMY AT HOME BEFORE IT GOES OVERSEAS.